Sunday, September 23, 2012

INFORMATION, MOTIVATION, ACCESS, EMPOWERMENT!



As I approach the end of my service and look back at the variety of experiences that I have had, I have to say that the greatest aspect of my service has been the ability to network and learn about programs, services and resources available to assist others. I have learned that many of those that we serve that are homeless, are lacking information about resources and the support to help motivate them to get to the next step.

 Information equals access. I will use this example. I happen to love shoes; when I see a person with a great pair of shoes, I usually ask the person about the shoes, where they purchased them,  etc. This information now give me access to the same opportunity that the person with the great shoes has, which empowers me to go get a pair! I recall working with homeless individuals who find themselves recently unemployed, with no healthcare, money, food, etc. For some, I provided information about State Disability Assistance, which enabled them to get monthly financial assistance because they were unable to work. All I did was provide the information and encouragement to take the next step in making the phone call. Those who were motivated now had access and were empowered to change their living situation.

 While each and every program participant, client and individual we meet are at different stages, we must never work harder than the individuals we serve. Some may need more encouragement, while some may need more education and information. I believe this goes along with restoring dignity to an individual, enabling them to have confidence in their own abilities, which will ultimately and hopefully result in our clients becoming tax paying, contributing citizens! Our compassion must be guided with the motivation of empowering an individual; not enabling them to continue on in crippling behaviors the often times result in individuals becoming dependent upon a lifetime of public assistance.

 It’s been a great year of learning for me. Thanks Americorp!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment