Sunday, October 28, 2012

Homelessness Addressed



            I have been serving as an AmeriCorps member for the Northwest Michigan Community Action Agency Homeless Prevention program since January 2012. Throughout my service I have been fortunate enough to serve a population that receives much attention in Traverse City. The homeless population in our community has received negative attention over the last few months. There have been a large number of incidents related to drug and alcohol use which have involved a select number of homeless adults. The community seems to perceive any “homeless person” as a nuisance and criminal. The reality is that the majority of people experiencing homelessness keep to themselves. They live within our shelters or camp in the woods. They spend their afternoons at work, looking for work, or volunteering at local non-profits. They actively seek a permanent income so they can obtain permanent housing. 

            A recent article in the local newspaper, The Record Eagle, focused on a middle-aged couple who is currently experiencing homelessness. They are both Michigan natives and state that their primary reason for homelessness is due to chronic alcoholism. Although alcoholism is a daily struggle for these two natives, life has not always been this way and they do not plan for it to remain. They are well educated and have held respectable jobs in society. Their main focus is getting back to that part of their life. They are reaching out to various community resources to assist them in employment, housing, and continuous substance abuse treatment.

            I am so fortunate to have met people who are suffering from situational homelessness. I have spent the last 9 months being able to assist people overcome their barriers and live their life the way they want to. I have learned how resilient people are and I am proud to be a part of a community that is pro-active in acknowledging that. There are various agencies in Traverse City that work together to support people in maintaining self-sufficiency. Through my AmeriCorps service I have been able to be a part of this community and make a difference on a daily basis.

If you’re interested in the article that I referenced in the blog, check out the link below!
http://record-eagle.com/local/x1684126605/GT-region-plays-host-to-about-330-people-who-have-no-homes

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if many people comment on this, but this was a really good article. It's exciting to read about other people's experiences since I am not doing direct service and am just starting my service year. I took over Melody's position as the Vol. Coordinator at MCAH.

    Good luck with the rest of your service.

    ReplyDelete